How To Make Colored Sugar
Colored sugars are used for decorating cookies, cakes and other baked goods. It is easy to make and only takes about 5 minutes.
What you will need to make colored sugar
- Granulated (white) sugar
- Food coloring or icing color
- Small bowl
Making colored sugar
- Place sugar on a small bowl.
- Add a drop of food coloring or a toothpickful of icing color and mix until the color is evenly distributed throughout the sugar.
- Continue to add food coloring one drop at a time, or icing colors one toothpickful at a time until you are satisfied with the color.
- Use immediately, or allow the sugar to dry and store in an air-tight container.
Tips on making colored sugar
- If your sugar comes out darker than you planned, simply add more sugar to the mix.
- You can use a plastic resealable bag instead of a bowl. Simply place the sugar in the bag, add the food coloring as indicated above, then reseal the bag. Knead the contents of the bag until the food coloring is evenly distributed. Repeat until desired color has been achieved.
- You can also use this technique to color coconut.
About icing color
Icing color is a concentrated gel used by cake decorators to tint icing. They come in a wide variety of colors. To color, insert a toothpick into the jar and wipe off in the sugar, coconut, or icing, then discard the toothpick. Then mix. Icing color is very concentrated, so only add one toothpickful at a time until you achieve the desired color. Some colors darken when left alone, so don't over do it. You can find icing colors in the cake decorating section of your local grocery store or discount store.